28.8.08

O-yeah

So I just walked out of Obama's history making speech. Why? Was it to irritate the moveon.org people that were there? Was it cuz I had to pee and ran out of beer? Was it cuz I didn't give a damn? Probably a bit of all of those, but really it was because I just can't buy into this cult of personality. Call me jaded if you will, but really, what did the man say that A) we didn't know already, and B) we hadn't heard from 100 other politicians, Democrat and Republican, prior to him? Working class, common folk, health care, education, Kenyan immigrant (OK, I'll give him that one), etc etc etc. Five'll get you ten that McCain's speech is going to say the same shit with different words.
Obama is a good speaker, and even if we hadn't been assaulted with 8 years of some yapping dipshit who had a sociopath for a puppetmaster, he would still sound good. But really, why am I supposed to get all wound up over words of hope from someone else? Bush saud the same shit. Clinton did. Regan did. Granted, the Republicans have seemingly done all they could do to face rape us every time they get into office (by us I mean broke dick alcoholics), no one wants to remember Clinton and his errors. Why bitch about Republicans sending jobs overseas when Clinton signed NAFTA? Are they splitting hairs? Cuz I'll give them the split hairs that those jobs just went south of the border, not overseas.
Anyhoo, bottom line is I skipped out. What would have been my ideal speech, instead of predictable regurgitation? If Obama had come out and said, "Alright, let's do this! Let's get this shit started!" Then he would have thrown a lit M-80 into a prop mailbox and ran offstage as everyone cheered when the fucker blew up. The people in the front row would have gotten some shrapnel wounds and free health care for their problems.
I would vote then.
But another speech of this and that? I'll just say that I'll think about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left out the (I think) most salient piece of information, that you were watching this at a bar. Am I right? Huh? Am I? You lush.

Uncle Jesse said...

i think al gore made the most gutsy speech of the convention. but you know those speeches are mostly designed to win over the illiterate masses, not you. i don't think you really don't want a bench full of republican appointed supreme court judges. you don't want more war-piggering. so stop being jaded and vote!

Uncle Jesse said...

ooh, i said don't too many times.

well, another thing is, you don't have to LOVE the fucker to vote for the one that doesn't suck as bad as the other one. think of voting like you would a visit to the glory holes.
sorry, i'm not helping..

J. Herzog said...

Strangely enough, I saw the speech in a bar as well, with a bunch of Obama supporters (big surprise in Arcata, huh?)

A stirring piece of oratory I'd say (and I bet unlike other candidates, he wrote the bulk of it himself). A little too arena rock for you, perhaps.

You're a more cynical man than I Pinky, but even you've got to appreciate the fact that W has screwed the pooch so severely that a black man with the middle name of Hussein has a good shot at the presidency.

Pinky Royale said...

Wow, so many comments. I should get into politics more often.
To clear things up, I was not in a bar. If I was I could have just moved to some table out of view of a TV (getting harder and harder these days) and kept drinking. No, I was at my friend Aaron's house where people were quietly clapping and looking on in awe. Obama seems like a cool kid, I hope he wins, I hope he does a good job, but as far as speeches--fuck that. Show me actions. Speeches have been done to death and are notoriously rife with glitter and bullshit, a little hope too. GO OBAMA! I hope he wins, but since we have this thing called red and blue states, and we have some fucked system called the electoral college that trumps popular vote, I don't even have to go to the polls to ensure that Obama gets Oregon. In fact, I bet no one would have to vote and the red and blues would just carry us through minus those two or three trouble states where people actually can vote and have it count.
And here is a POV from the good ol' boy network that runs this country. The Republicans are leaving behind them a fucking train wreck of extraordinary magnitude. They want a janitor to come behind them and clean it all up. And here comes Obama. Sucks to be him.
And then (this is disjointed and sloppy, forgive me) I could give a fuck about party lines. Democrat? Republican? Both of them are going to fuck us, just in different ways. Clinton was no angel, people. Show me a politician who cares and has a soul and can end up in the position that allows him or her to run for president and I will show you someone who, inadvertently or on purpose, is in so many pockets that it's a miracle that the President can even sign their name without consulting 15,000 different lobbyists.
There.
Go Obama.