2.4.08

WTF?

So I was walking down Greely the other day, a fairly well-traveled stretch of road that gets crowded during rush hour. I make better time than cars whilst walking home, sometimes passing the same car three or four times (see Amanda, didn't use the dreaded numerals...) in a 15 (whoops, dropped that ball pretty quick) block stretch as they get through a signal and get jammed up at the next. This road wasn't meant for such traffic, but as Portland gets bigger these small two lane roads surpass their intended capacity as commuters find "short cuts".
What I am trying to get at is that this is no quiet, secluded length of road where weird things can lay unmolested in the middle of the street for hours or days.
Which is where this weirdness comes into play. I walked past these wings in the road, saw them, took a few steps, then stopped as what I just glanced at registered in my brain.
This is why I travel with my camera.
As rush hour traffic crept by, right off to the side of it on the asphalt was something that would be more at home in some goth kid's room or an art exhibit, lovingly situated and then photographed in black and white.
Disembodied pigeon wings, or more appropriately, a pigeon minus the body. Is it just me or does it look like it got hit by a car at such a high speed that it knocked the whole fucking body off of the wings? I know there is some obvious explanation, but a lot of the weirdness came from the fact that this was sitting on such a busy road. If it were a sleepy path I would guess that some bored kids scavenged an already dead bird, or iced one themselves as kids are prone to doing before they take that leap into serial killing, and posed it on the sidewalk.
Whatever the case, it caught my eye and threw a bit of oddness into a typically two-dimensional work day.

---------

Listening to:
We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
Modest Mouse

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I once found a weird baby bird foetus-y thing on the sidewalk in Arcata. Dead, of course. But, why wasn't it in an egg? Had it hatched, still-born, and been pushed from the nest to crustify on the concrete? It just seemed wrong, and being that I was (okay, am) a superstitious hippie freak, and seeing as I was supposed to get on an airplane later that day, I of course took it as some sort of omen about the failures of flight and the imminence of mortality, blah blah blah. I'm such a fucking idiot. (P.S. Despite all this, I did get on the plane, and lo! it did not crash like a still-born baby bird. Go figure.)