11.4.07

ROKY!

I have only gotten into Roky Erikson in the past year or two. He had a song on the Return of the Living Dead soundtrack (Burn the Flame) that I have always loved but I never knew anyone who had any of his albums so I could check it out the rest of his sounds. Finally one day here in town I found a few used CDs and grabbed them. The 13th Floor Elevators are amazing and Roky's solo stuff is a bit spotty, but fun. More like a Tales from the Crypt comic than music, but it has flashes of genius. I am drawn a lot more to the fact that he is nuts. Insane artists intrigue me. It's probably not healthy or nice, but I can't help it.
I read about this documentary awhile ago and finally there is a trailer. Check it out if you want.

4 comments:

Uncle Jesse said...

i'm a huge roky erikson fan! glad to hear he's been playing shows again recently. it's about time someone made a movie about him. check out "gremlins have pictures". his version of "heroin" shreds.

J. Herzog said...

Roky's cool, but isn't listening to sixties drug casualties, however much they may be (or have been) possesed of genius, the kind of thing a geezer would do?

Don't become a geezer before your time Pinky.

Uncle Jesse said...

i don't think so. i think roky's music is pretty timeless. except maybe his backup band is stuck in 1981.
he's probably not sane enough to get the "hipster" backup band treatment like andre williams did a few years back.

J. Herzog said...

Actually, I was just ribbing Pinky about his previous Geezer comment.

Though I do prefer Skip Spence to Roky as Sixties burnouts go.