21.1.07

Procrastination...


So I am in the process of reading a semi-coffee table book on Django Reinhardt. I have been at it for awhile. I am finding that I am too finicky to review books, but this will get done when I finally run out of other things to do (mop, drink coffee, bake some cookies... blink, breathe).

Anyway, I came across this great quote. My second quote post in a row. I will try to avoid making this a habit.

"In the abrupt way that jazz orchestras have, this one plunges into a number. It loses no time in circumlocutions, but gets right down to business. It constricts the thorax and splits the heart with its tempo and narcotic harmonies. This orchestra grows rambunctious, rears on its hind legs, and attacks the tonal veil with primitive fury, rending it, clawing it until it breaks through to the jungle beyond. I follow those heathen--follow them exultingly. I dance wildly inside myself; I yell within, I whoop; I shake my assegai above my head, I hurl it true to the mark yeeeooww! I am in the jungle and living in the jungle way. My face is painted red and yellow, and my body is painted blue. My pulse is throbbing like a war drum. I want to slaughter something--give pain, give death what, I do not know. But the piece ends. The men of the orchestra wipe their lips and rest their fingers. I creep back slowly to the veneer we call civilization..."
-Zora Neale Hurston
1928

3 comments:

J. Herzog said...

There's nothing wrong with a good quote. When something's already been written in a perfect way, why try to praphrase it?

I think I'd like to do a blog consisting of nothing but quotes.

J. Herzog said...

Oviously that wasn't written in a perfect way.

I meant "paraphrase".

J. Herzog said...

"Oviously"

I'll quit while I'm ahead.